Wednesday, April 2, 2014

French Apple Cake


 
Rain is pouring hard today, some has hail too.. typical of April , I think. But when I said, much .. mean too much ... come and go, wind blew 2 of my umbrella this morning... and I was soaked wet when I drop my daughter to school .. oh my, what a funny was as soon as I enter the car with wet cloth, the rain is stop ..  and again the same in the afternoon.
 
Now is time to bake, so I will have delicious cake waiting for 2 people to come home this afternoon.  I saw this recipe a week ago, my finger was busy change the TV channel too many time, until I saw the chef who ate the cake give a 'funny' expression ... like "eeemm" ,"yuuum" , "aaah"  LOL - indeed, those expression really 'get' me .  And I searching through internet for recipe, aah.. what an easy recipe no mixer require at all... and yes, it is so delicious ... by adding flour for top batter, really make this cake is different than regular apple pie.. ooh, should I said this is apple pie ? well.. anyway, let's try...
 
French Apple Cake
Source : America Test Kitchen

Ingredients

1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 8 wedges, and sliced 1/8 inch thick crosswise
1 tablespoon Calvados or apple brandy or white rum (I skip this) 
1 teaspoon lemon juice (I use 1 tbsp. since I skip the calvados) 
1 cup (5 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup (7 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg plus 2 large yolks
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Confectioners' sugar 
 

Instructions

 
  1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 9-inch springform pan with vegetable oil spray. Place prepared pan on rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Place apple slices into microwave-safe pie plate, cover, and microwave until apples are pliable and slightly translucent, about 3 minutes. Toss apple slices with Calvados and lemon juice and let cool for 15 minutes.

  2. Whisk 1 cup flour, 1 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt together in bowl. Whisk egg, oil, milk, and vanilla together in second bowl until smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk until just combined. Transfer 1 cup batter to separate bowl and set aside.
  3. Add egg yolks to remaining batter and whisk to combine. Using spatula, gently fold in cooled apples. Transfer batter to prepared pan; using offset spatula, spread batter evenly to pan edges, gently pressing on apples to create even, compact layer, and smooth surface.
  4. Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons flour into reserved batter. Pour over batter in pan and spread batter evenly to pan edges and smooth surface. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar evenly over cake.
  5. Bake until center of cake is set, toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, and top is golden brown, about 1¼ hours. Transfer pan to wire rack; let cool for 5 minutes. Run paring knife around sides of pan and let cool completely, 2 to 3 hours. Dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar, cut into wedges, and serve.

1 comment:

Hesti HH. said...

Give me give me...pokokna anything with apple I like ^^