Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sneaky mommy .. Hidden Veggie Dish

Cauliflower Soup by Fitri D. // Rumah Manis
 
Ok, here it goes. When I grew up , it was so rare to see broccoli or cauliflower on our dinning table. Well, my mom used to cooked a lot of different kind of veggetables, which is so easy to find in the market such a waterspinach (kangkung) , bean sprout (toge), Chinese mustard green (sawi) etc. And since I moved to different county those vegetables that I used to eat become a luxury veggie for me,  – if I want to get those I need to drive long way to Asian Store near by my house about 12miles.

Back to broccoli and cauliflower story, I’m not ‘crazy’ about eating those 2 green veggies – booo !! Anyway, I try my best to give , to introduce any kind of vegetable to my daughter. So far, she is doing good : her favorites are spinach, carrot and beansprout. But with broccoli or cauliflower, I need to use my trick. “Hidden Veggie Dish”. so far its work well.

Like this recipe, she has no idea I put veggies that she refuse to eat into the dish. *grin*

Cauliflower Soup:
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 ribs celery, chopped to yield 3/4 cup
1 large or 2 small shallots, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 head cauliflower (1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
Hand full of broccoli


Garnish : croutons and turkey bacon *we didn’t eat bacon, so we used turkey but you guys can substitute with bacon too.
 

Directions
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the celery, shallots, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Stir in the chicken broth, thyme, cauliflower, broccoli. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

In batches, puree the soup in a food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the croutons and turkey bacon

No comments: