Friday, April 11, 2014

Basic Brioche

I love brioche so much, I know when I decide to make my own brioche its going to be a long process - so why do I bother to make myself ? well .. should I tell you more, that I am curious person ? too many time I try new recipes, some failed .. some are nailed ..  so, when I put the recipe into my blog mean is the recipe work very well .. like this basic brioche - I will never to look to another recipe .. trust me ..
 
This page is for basic brioche , I in the process of making brioche au chocolate - so let's prepare the first process first since the dough need to proof for at least 6 hours..
 

 
 
BASIC BRIOCHE

Recipe by : Joanne Chang - from Boston's Flour Bakery
 

Ingredients :

2 1/4 cups (315 gram) unbleached all purpose flour
2 1/4 cup (340 gram) bread flour
1 1/2 package = (3 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1/3 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar (82 gram)
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 cup (120 gr) cold water
6 eggs
1 cup plus 6 tbsp (310 gr) unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 10-12 pieces
 
 
 
Directions :
In stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the all purpose flour, bread flour, yeast, sugar, salt, water and 5 off eggs. Beat on low speed for 3 to 4 minutes. or until the ingredients have come together, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure all of the flour is incorporated into the wet ingredients.
 
On low speed, add the butter one at a time. Stopping the mixer occasionally to scrap the side of the bowl. Once the butter is completely incorporated, turn up the speed to medium and beat for another 15 minutes, or until the dough become sticky, soft . It will take sometime to come together.
 
 
Then turn the speed to medium-high and beat about 1 minute. Test the dough by pulling at it, it should stretch a bit . If it seems wet and loose and more like a batter than a dough, add a few tablespoon of flour and mix until it comes together. Its ready when you can gather it all together and pick it up in one piece.
Place the dough in a large bowl, and cover it with plastic wrap, pressing the wrap directly onto the surface of the dough. Let the dough proof in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to overnight. At this point you can freeze the dough in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
 
-- I will make brioche au chocolat so I will continue to another page --
 
For brioche loaves, line the bottom and side of two 9-by-5 inch loaf pan with parchment or butter the pans liberally. Divide the dough in half. Cover the loaves lightly with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot for 4 - 5 hours or until the loaves have nearly double the size.
 
In a small bowl, whisk the remaining eggs until blended and shifted . Than gently brush the tops of the loaves with the beaten egg.
 
 
Bake in pre-heated oven 350F for 30-35 minutes or until the top of the loaves are completely golden brown.
 
The bread can be stored lightly wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.

No comments: