Our small garden doing well so far, we be able to picked some fresh vegetable in many day, that give me chance to make some pickle during summer time and save for winter. Some persian pickle that I like is mixed vegetable pickle - well, pretty much use vegetable that you like and the pickle is ready in short time compare to garlic / torshi pickle.
Torshi Makhloot - Mixed Vegetable Pickle
Recipe from beloved blogger : Azita - Turmeric & Saffron
3 large carrots, washed, peeled, lightly steamed, finely chopped or shredded
3 medium red or white onions, peeled and finely diced
2 medium eggplant, peeled and diced
2 large cucumbers, peeled and finely chopped
2 green bell peppers, washed, cleaned and diced
1 small cauliflower, washed, finely chopped
1 small head of celery, washed and finely chopped
1/2 cup shredded white cabbage
1 cup of each of the following herbs: (parsley, coriander, dill), washed, dried and finely chopped
2 tablespoons of the following fresh herbs chopped or dried (tarragon, mint, basil)
2 tablespoons dried lime powder
2 tablespoons crushed angelica
2 tablespoons nigella seeds
2 tablespoon fennel seeds
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
6-7 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4-5 tablespoons salt
2 red hot peppers, dried or fresh, chopped
2 teaspoons turmeric powder
5-7 cups white vinegar
- Salt the eggplants and either bake them in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 25- 30 minutes or cook them with 1/2 cup of vinegar over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- All the herbs and vegetables must be completely dried before mixing them together. Spread out the washed herbs on a table cloth for several hours to dry.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Using a wooden spoon pack pickles in clean glass jars up to the rim. Press down on them to make more room as you are filling up the jars. Add more vinegar if needed.
- Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt into each jar before closing the lid tightly.
- Store in a cool dry place for at least 2 weeks before serving.