Friday, March 7, 2014

Layer Steam Cake

Layer Steam Cake by Fitri D. // Rumah Manis
 
 
It has been awhile not to make steamed cake , if I remember it was 8 years ago I made this kind of cake until I saw one of my friend posting on facebook page couple days ago. When I decided to make again I was worry that I am the one who will eat a whole cake . Surprise.. surprise every one like it. My husband said, he like the soft cake like this. Its remind him about her last beloved mom (God Bless Her) - that's actually kind of cake she always made for her kids.. steamed cake.. really ? aaah.. I feel relief , I don't need to offer every one to try ..the cake dissapear so quick..

Indonesian Steamed Layer Cake
Ingredients :

6 yolks + 3 white eggs
250 gr granulate sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp condense milk
1 tsp vanila extract
150 gr all-purpose flour, shifted
1 tbsp milk powder - I used MILO
1 tsp baking powder
200gr butter - I used 100 gr un-salted butter + 100 gr margarine
100 gr chocolate powder
1 tbsp spekoek powder
 


Directions :
Using 9x5x3inch loaf pan , buttered and bottom lined with a rectangle of parchment paper.

Prepare the steamer pot - I got mine from Asian Store a long ago , diameter of pot is about 28cm - it's quite big pot with 3 layer. Put some water into the pot, make sure not reach the divider . Turn on the heater on medium high.

Wrap a frying pan lid with a kitchen towel. This will prevent condensation from falling onto the cakes while steaming.
Meanwhile , beat the butter with stand mixer on medium speed until turning pale, than add the sugar in 3 step, let mix together until they well blend (in this stage if you rub between your finger, you wont feel the sugar) ; add the eggs . Mix well, about 8 minute.. than add condense milk.

Turn off your mixer, add the flour, baking powder, milk powder - mix with rubber spatulla .
When the water starts to boil, place the loaf pan inside the pan.
About 1/2 cup of batter at the time, add into the loaf pan, smooth the top with back of spoon. (Some suggestion to add about 4 tbsp of batter for every layer, which is time consuming for me, so to my healthy reason I just drop 1/2 cup of batter for every layer LOL )
Cover with the lid and steam over medium-low heat for 10 minute.
Mix the chocolate powder and spekoek powder together
Open the lid, be careful with the hot air comes from the steamer- take the pan out, sprinkle the top of steam cake with chocolate mixture, make sure you sprinkle evenly (using small flour shifter to distribute evenly) .. and you will see the reason why after the work done !
Add another layer of batter (try to do the same amount for every layer) - hey, I didn't do such a great job, since I must to do several thing in the same time.. jezz..
Cover the steamer. Steam again for 10 minute.. and repeting the process until the last drop of batter. For the last batter, steam for about 20 minute.
Let it cool before you slice the cake... and enjoy your afternoon with a cup of tea or whatever drink suit to you. Happy Baking..
 
Update :
Make your own bumbu spekoek / spekoek spice:
add the same amount of spices below and mix well - keep in the tight jar for next use
- cardamom powder
- nutmeg powder- cinnamon powder- clove powder


No comments: